Sunday 30 September 2012

A House in the Country

This week I have been putting together my first framed piece which will be a picture in its own right.  I was a bit nervous to make something that had no other function than to be decorative.  Everything else has been decoration on an item that already had a purpose - purses, cushions, phone cases etc.  I have done some embroidery hoop framed pictures, but they have been a collection of small images rather than a scene.  Hence my worry that a picture would have to stand up in its own right with sufficient detail and interest.

Enough delay, here is my effort........




I am quite pleased with the way it turned out and may still add more detail in the next few days.  I have had a suggestion that sheep on the hill would be a nice touch.  I also think the green in the foreground could do with some more detail.





Then again, it may be too busy if I add too much, wouldn't want to detract from those fabulously artistic chickens!








The details were particularly enjoyable to do, although the dry stone walls seemed to take forever to do.

I haven't worked out how I have managed to love sewing for over 30 years and have only just discovered  free motion embroidery or as Kirsty Allsopp calls it 'the crack cocaine of craft'!!!  It is so lovely to not have to be exact and to be able to just 'paint' on the fabric.  Kirsty is right, it is completely addictive.



No comments:

Post a Comment