The last couple of months have been quite eventful in the world of Ruby Patch. I have had to take a lot of time off from sewing due to a particularly nasty stomach virus which was a real blast. Nausea is really not conducive to creativity. So the great plans I had for developing new products were badly delayed.
I have felt a lot better in the last week or two and consequently productivity has increased. In addition, I was invited to become an artisan on Make the Most of, a site which supports the sale of hand made, artisan and designer products. All in all, I am feeling really positive about developing the business.
The first new products I have been working on are storage boxes and bowls. Using recycled denim and cotton, I tried a square and round bowl to see which would be quickest to make. The two trial runs were successful with the square shape being quicker to put together but this one used a lot more fabric. The bowl with the circular base was quite attractive but fiddly to put together.
After buying some lovely new linens and cotton linings, my next attempt was a square box with handles. This was quite successful but still used a lot of fabric and interfacing.
I then went onto bowls with circular bases. I have make three of these and they were all successful. There were lovely to make until it was time to add the bases. This became more tedious the more I did. I am still undecided whether to continue making these as I may end up rushing them in frustration and spoiling the finish. I cannot see my patience improving if I know I have to make a number of these!
Anyway, here are the three that I made.